Monday, July 11, 2011

So this is who I am...but what am I doing?

As always, I've been doing some further research concerning the piece. This portion was actually prompted by Kento. In our last meeting, we got into some huge tangent about personality types, and he started discussing a type called "The Romantic." Of course, I was immediately turned off by that and jumped to the conclusion that what he was about to say had absolutely nothing to do with me, except that perhaps it was the total opposite of who I was. And then he started describing it...

Here is the research I've done since that talk on what it means to be a romantic according to the 9 point personality system.

The Romantic is the Point Four Personality, also considered a personality ruled by the heart. Their main drive is the feeling and idea that "something essential is missing from life," and their never-ending quest is to find what that is. Their vice is envy, which leaves them overly focused on the difference between themselves and others, "You're always worrying that others may have gotten a better deal than you or are being recognized while your talents are being overlooked."

As a romantic, a person wants to be gifted, original, unique, passionate, true to their feelings and authentic. "Your idealized image is that you are accomplished and special." Romantics are painfully self-conscious and have a self-deprecating sense of humor. They feel their own inner world powerfully, which can at times lead them to be perceived as self-centered and allow them to forget those around them. They are also characteristically hyper-sensitive, temperamental and tend to over-personalize all life experiences. Intense and contrary at times, they're not afraid to think for themselves and are often, "blessed with a strong sense of the dramatic and/or aesthetic." They are motivated by the need to understand and to be understood.

Romantics are, "Nostalgic by nature, you often focus on past experiences." They have an uncommon sensitivity when it comes to suffering and are not afraid to hear about others' troubles. At times, their attraction to the darker emotions can make them appear melodramatic and/or depressed and is often perceived as "too much" by others.

They will do anything to avoid feeling lost, disoriented, without personal significance, meaning or direction, inadequate, defective or flawed. There is a hidden fear of being emotionally cut off or abandoned. With this comes a need to express deep feelings and have others give them validity. They believe that everyone is an individual and all emotions are valid.

The greatest strengths of this personality type are intuition, creativity, and the ability to transform painful life experiences into opportunities for growth and healing.

Advice given for romantics - DON'T DWELL ON THE PAST, AND REMEMBER TO ENJOY THE PLEASURE THAT CAN BE FOUND IN EACH MOMENT.

Now tell me that all of that is not me in a nutshell and does not clarify why I need to do this project to a T. The one bit of research that I have yet to come across that I am eagerly awaiting is about those romantics who deny themselves the functions of their personality. This is when I really started to listen to Kento. There are those who get frustrated with the reality of being driven by emotions and cut themselves off from it. These people become increasingly angry in denying who and what they are. I think that's what I'm trying to bring myself out of. That's who I am/was and I'm taking the baby steps to accept that I have a heart and I am driven by it.

Who knew?...me...a romantic...

And now that I've had my personality explained to me, would someone please sit me down and tell me what the heck I'm doing with my life? Please?

1 comment:

  1. Response to your request:
    You're figuring it out, one day at a time. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete